Tuesday 8 April 2014

Reflective Analysis-React

Aims and Context-React
  • Short experimental film 
  • I aim to produce a short experimental film around 3-5 minutes long
  • Avant-garde visuals (high contrast low key lighting, black and white)
  • Elements of surrealism (non-narrative form, dream logic)
  • Target audience will be more art-house/exhibition/gallery as opposed to mainstream cinema complex
Main Influences
  • Simon Pummell's 'Body Song'- Documentary like shots exploring an aspect of society
  • Chris Cunningham 'Rubber Johnny'-Use of Abstract lighting and sound in Rubber Johnny.
  • Stan Brakhage 'Stella'- Use of dark lighting yet abstract with colour and idea of something you imagine

Reflective Analysis 

I created a short experimental film titled React, which was influenced by Simon Pummell, Chris Cunningham and Stan Brakhage. React is also loosely based around the philosophy of John Stuart Mill’s theory of Utilitarianism ‘the greatest good for the greatest number’ as React explores an aspect of society that aren’t always acceptable and good for the majority of people. Experimental films such as this one are aimed at art house audiences so would be shown in a gallery or art exhibition. Experimental films are described, as an artistic practice so would be better suited in an art gallery than in mainstream cinemas. 
Simon Pummell had a large influence on the making of React as the use of photomontage in Bodysong inspired me to use the same technique, as React is about aspects of society from the moment of conception to death. Bodysong influenced the majority of how I structured and filmed React, as I too was exploring an aspect of society. The techniques that Pummell used such as real clips from different parts of society and the photomontage gave my film a documentary-like feel. I re-created the photomontage that Pummell used by taking my own images of blurred lighting at nighttime and when played one after another at a quick pace gives the feeling of the world tumbling around you. The images also meant I could incorporate avant-garde into React, as they are. I wanted to almost capture the images children see when they rub their eyes to see ‘fireworks’ and flashes of light. I wanted to incorporate avant-garde in to my film as the aspect of society that React is focused on is one that believes in having freedom from the restrictions of the bourgeoisie society just as Pummell showed in Bodysong with the chapter of adolescence.

Stan Brakhage’s film Stellar influenced how I presented avant-garde in my film as Brakhage used dark lighting yet abstract bold colours to express emotions that cannot be narrated or explained by words. This enabled me to create documentary-like shots yet show the non-narrative form and the use of avant-garde. I would have liked to not have any music over the images of blurred light, as like Brakhage intended, I wanted the images to be a piece of art in itself and speak for itself however with the way my images and clips were put together it meant that not having music on the light images but having music everywhere else meant it didn’t fit well together. Pummell’s Bodysong, at the point where he shows the part of life of adolescence, influenced the music for React, as it is very calming and suggests there is still innocence in teenagers and young adults.
 I felt the music was very fitting as a strong theme of my film was to show that this type of violence is how young people express themselves and that they need something in their lives to give them freedom. I also relied on the use of my music and lack of narrative to push the audience creating a different spectatorship that experimental film requires and create their own meaning for the just as Godfrey Reggio's 'Koyaanisqatsi'. The music used in experimental film suggests a certain direction for the spectator to go in however leaves most of the thinking in their hands and this is the exact technique I wanted to create.

While producing React, I found that Andy Warhol’s screen tests were also an inspiration for my film. This enabled me to use the technique of low-key lighting with black and white shots. Even though Warhol’s simplistic 4 minute close up shots of subjects facing a stationary camera hadn’t any emotion this gave me an idea to recreate them however showing deep emotion as this too would show true emotions that cant be defined by words. Andy Warhol’s screen tests inspired me to use a similar approach when directing the actors, as I didn’t want them to over act or emphasis facial expression. I wanted the actors to act natural and just image they were in the same situation as people at a gig, which they found easier as they can relate to personal experiences. This creates a more subtle experimental film that doesn’t try to create emotions but lets them naturally be portrayed.

Many experimental films are very difficult to understand the meaning and sometimes don’t even have a meaning. In the process of making React I have found that expressing emotion through artistic practices like experimental film has a large effect on audiences as they can relate to feeling a certain way when seeing specific images. Mainstream films portray emotions through narrative which I believe aren’t as powerful and personal as experimental films such as Stan Brakhage’s Stellar.

I originally planned to create a stop-motion film influenced by the Quay Brothers work however I found it extremely difficult to create the stills the way I wanted them, for example, I wanted extremely low key lighting and to be dark and unnerving as the Quay Brothers do in their films such as The Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer. I also struggled to create shots that would flow together as I had used soft bears with don’t stay in the same position when you more them so when I put the images into a film they looked jumpy and didn’t run smoothly.

While filming my screen tests, I had planned to use a strobe-lighting effect just as the lighting in the gig had used however it was difficult to create this effect without using a camera flash several time. As I was filming my friend also took photos to create the flash on the film. When I had first looked at the shots I wasn’t going to include them because they flashing weren’t fast paced and weren’t regular however when producing my film I decided to slow the shots down to create a sense of the world going in slow-motion and so the audience can experience more emotion in my film. The use of the flashes also gave my film a sense of being in a dream-like state when reality and dreaming are linked and give a sense that the audience are experiencing lucid dreams.  The flashes help my audience remember that they are still in reality.


To conclude, I believe it is clear that my influences have helped me to produce a film that fits its target audience, genre and aims. However I feel that my film could have used more influences and different techniques such as including shots showing surrealism to give it a clear focus and understanding. I am happy with the final project and I believe it is a successful experimental film. (1043 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment